Hope you enjoy reading about what's happening at Garden Fairy's Cafe: foraging, organic gardening, making herbal infusions and tinctures, wholesome cooking, and more.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Roasted dandelion roots (and roasted barley) for a coffee substitute

I've been learning a lot to enjoy eating dandelions this year. In late spring, I infused mature leaves and young roots in apple cider vinegar, and I've been using the mineral-rich, less acidic vinegar for a salad dressing (dandelion leaf and root vinegar tastes milder than apple cider vinegar itself due to a lot of calcium in the leaves and starch-like inulin in the roots extracted by vinegar). In early fall, I harvested re-emerged young leaves as salad greens, which was surprisingly tasty, like arugula. Now I'm harvesting a lot of thick tap roots to roast for a caffeine-free coffee substitute. Here are my steps:

1. Wash harvested dandelion roots well, air-dry and chop them up.
2. Roast the roots in the oven at between 200F and 250F (with the oven door slightly open) for a few hours until they turn dark brown with chocolaty aroma.
3. Grind the roasted roots in the blender.
4. Make decoction (boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes) with 3 teaspoonful of ground roasted roots in a mug-cupful of water.

Roasted dandelion root decoction tastes like weak but bitter coffee, so I usually add a smidgen of stevia and 1 teaspoonful of heavy cream to make it taste like cafe ole. To make it even more flavorful, I roast barley (preferably germinated for a few days) in a frying pan (about 20-30 minutes in low heat) and mix it with roasted dandelion roots (about 2:1 ratio). Roasted barley seems to add boldness and sweetness. I plan to grow chicory next year. Hope I will be able to harvest the chicory roots to add to the mix by this time next year.

Roasted dandelion roots mixed with roasted barley
Ground roasted dandelion roots and barley
Roasted dandelion roots and barley cafe ole with a curious cockatiel